PECULIARITIES OF TREATING PATIENTS WITH CARDIAC SURGICAL PROFILE WITH INFECTIOUS COMPLICATIONS AFTER STERNOTOMY BY VAC THERAPY
Summary. Infectious complications from the sternotomic wound in patients with a cardiac surgical profile are a very threatening factor that prolongs hospitalization, disability, and sometimes leads to death
The aim. Improving the results of treatment of patients with cardiac surgical profile with on infectious complications of sternotomy wounds using by VAC-therapy.
Materials and methods. The treatment results are analyzed with the help of VAC-therapy in 14 patients from 2015 to 2018 year inclusive, where there were complications after performing longitudinal median sternotomy.
Results and discussion. In 100% of patients, a positive result was achieved. The average length of stay of patients in the clinic who used VAC-therapy was 15 ± 6.5 days, which is half that when treating identical wounds with standard methods.
Conclusions. Treatment of infectious complications of longitudinal median sternotomy with the help of VAC-therapy is a safe, effective and cost-effective method in patients with cardiac surgery.
2. Argenta L. C. Vacuum assisted closure. A new method for wound control and treatment: clinical experience / L. C. Argenta, M. J. Morykwas // Ann. Plast. Surg. – 1997. – Vol. 38. – P. 563–577.
3. Badr A-A I, Ahmad M-R. Role of vacuum assisted suction drainage in management of deep sternal wound infection: Experience in one center. Journal of the Egyptian Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 2017;25:64–72. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.jescts.2017.01. 003
4. Song D. H. Primary sternal plating in high-risk patients mediastinitis / D. H. Song, R. F. Lohman, J. D. Renucci et al. // Eur. J. Cardiothorac Surg. – 2004, Aug. – Vol. 26, N. 2. – 367–372.
5. Shumacker H. B. Continuous antibiotic irrigation in the treatment of infection / H. B. Shumacker, Jr. I. Mandelbaum // Arch. Surg. – 1963. – Vol.86. – P. 384–387.
6. Jurkiewicz M. J. Infected median sternotomy wound. Successful treatment by muscle flaps / M. J. Jurkiewicz, J. Bostwick, T. R. Hester [et al.] // Ann. Surg. – 1980. – Vol. 191(6). – P. 738–743.