COMPLICATIONS OF TRANSPAPILLARY ENDOSCOPIC INTERVENTIONS (TEI)
Summary. Objective — a retrospective analysis of the causes of TEI complications and the results of their treatment.
Materials and methods. The long-term results of performed TEI in 2909 patients were analyzed. The most common indication for TEI was choledocholithiasis, which was found in 1873 (65.4 %) patients and stenosis of papilla was detected in 454 (15.6 %) patients. Complications arose in 112 (3.85 %) patients. 4 (0.14 %) patients died.
Results. Bleeding occurred in 28 (0.96 %) patients. In 12 of 26 patients, endoscopic hemostatic manipulations were additionally performed. Two patients with profuse bleeding from a papillotomy wound were urgently operated on, one patient died. Acute pancreatitis occurred in 68 (2.33 %) patients, of which 56 (1.92 %) had an edematous form, and 12 (0.41 %) patients had a destructive form. 11 patients were operated on from 2 to 15 days from the onset of the disease. Two patients with pancreatic necrosis died of intoxication, the source of which was progressive retroperitoneal necrosis. In 5 (0.17 %) patients, intervention on the papilla was complicated by perforation of the wall of the duodenum. 4 out of 5 patients were urgently operated on (B-2 antrumectomy, external drainage of the common bile duct and retro duodenal space). All 4 patients recovered. In 1 patient, complication was diagnosed on the 5th day after the intervention, which led to delayed surgery and the death of the patient. In 11 patients (0.38 %), a Dormia basket with a stone in the distal part of the common bile duct wedged when trying to extract it. Only one of 11 patients was operated on as planned; in the remaining 10, the problem was resolved with repeated TEI.
Conclusions. Punctual technical implementation of all stages of manipulation, selective cannulation of the bile ducts, careful x-ray control of the position and advancement of the instrument in the ducts helps to reduce the number of complications after TEI.
2. Дзвонковський Т. М., Козань И. В., Кахно С. А., Скальский Л. В., Романишин Е. И. Причины и профилактика осложнений эндоскопической папиллосфинктеротомии. Практическая медицина. 2003;ІХ(1):16-19.
3. Кондратенко П. Г., Стукало А. А. Острый послеоперационный панкреатит в транспапиллярной эндохирургии. Клiнiчна хiрургiя. 2014;9(2):17-20.
4. Тарасенко С. В., Брянцев Е. М., Мараховский С. Л., Копейкин А. А. Осложнения эндоскопических транспапиллярных вмешательств у больных доброкачественными заболеваниями желчных протоков. Анналы хирургической гепатологии. 2009;15(1);21-26.
5. Wang AY, Strand DS, Shami VM. Prevention of post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitis: medications and techniques. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;14(11):1521-1532.
6. Udd M, Kylänpää L, Halttunen J. Management of difficult bile duct cannulation in ERCP. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2010;2(3):97-103.