TOTAL HEPATOCYTES VOLUME AS THE SURVIVAL FACTOR IN EXPERIMENTAL OBSTRUCTION OF THE BILIARY PATHWAYS
Abstract. The aim of the research was to studying histological and some morphomethrics feathers of the liver and related with them lethality during experimental complete and partial obstruction of the extrahepatic bile ducts (COEHBD and POEHBD).
Materials and methods. The experiment was included 83 rats that were sacrificed on the 3rd, 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th and 35th days. COEHBD was modeled by ligation and transaction of the common bile duct, POEHBD was modeled by ligation of the common bile duct with a needle of a given diameter. Histological analyses of the liver was performed together with morphometric study.
Results. The death of rats occurs during the first 3 days of the experiment and after 14 days, with a predominance of mortality on 14-35 days compared to the period up to 14 days (p<0.05). Death after 14 days of the experiment occurs in the model of complete cholestasis. From the all investigated morphometric measures such as the hepatocytes volume density (HVD), liver volume (LV), total hepatocytes volume (THV), the last one is the most accurately reflects the compensatory capabilities of the liver in conditions of complete and partial cholestasis and can serve as a criteria for predicting of the fatal outcome.
Conclusion. The THV most accurately reflects the compensatory capabilities of the liver in experimental COEHBD and POEHBD and can serve as a criterion for predicting a fatal outcome.
2. Lo R.C., Chan K.K., Chok K.S., Nq I.O. Liver allograft biopsies with histological cholestasis: a clinicopathological study of 254 cases from a single centre.J Clin. Pathol. 2018; 71(1):72-78.
3. Bahtiyar Ertor, Serdar Topaloglu, Adnan Calik et al. The Effects of Bile Duct Obstruction on Liver Volume: An Experimental Study / ISRN Surg. 2013. 2013: 156347. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23840968
4. Mamontov I.М., Ivakhno I.V., Tamm T.I. [et al.]. Morphological signs of hepatic function decompensation with experimental complete obstraction of the extrahepatic bile ducts. Світ медицини та біології. 2019; 1(67): 162-166.
5. Sekas G. A technique for creating partial obstruction of the common bile duct in the rat. Lab Anim. 1990; 24(3):284-7.
6. Matenaers C, Popper A., Rieger A. et al. Practicable methods for histological section thickness measurement in quantitative stereological analyses. PLoS ONE. 2018; 13 (2): 21.