SUCCESSFUL TREATMENT OF SEVERE PURULENT PERITONITIS WITH INTRAABDOMINAL HYPERTENSION COMPLICATIONS (CLINICAL CASE)
The widely used traditional method of surgical treatment of patients with widespread purulent peritonitis failed to establish itself as universal and has a large number of disadvantages, which prompts the use of new methods of managing patients in the postoperative period in surgical practice. The case described in the work illustrates the possibilities of a successful integrated approach in the treatment of diffuse purulent peritonitis against the background of Abdominal Compartment Syndrome, which includes the «Open abdomen» and «VAC-therapy» techniques, the use of which leads to a persistent decrease in both IАP and relief of the phenomena of purulent inflammation in the abdominal cavity.
Conclusions. The use of VAC-therapy in combination with the «Open abdomen» technique leads to a persistent decrease in both ICP and relief of the phenomena of purulent inflammation in the abdominal cavity.
2. Moore AF, Hargest R, Martin M, Delicata RJ. Intra-abdominal hypertension and the abdominal compartment syndrome. Br J Surg. 2004 Sep;91(9):1102-10. doi: 10.1002/ bjs.4703. PMID: 15449260.
3. Muntean V, Galasiu R, Fabian O. Hipertensiunea intraabdominală şi sindromul de compartiment abdominal [Acute intra-abdominal hypertension and «abdominal compartment syndrome»]. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2002 SepOct;97(5):447-57. Romanian. PMID: 12731245.
4. Roberts DJ, Zygun DA, Grendar J, Ball CG, Robertson HL, Ouellet JF, Cheatham ML, Kirkpatrick AW. Negativepressure wound therapy for critically ill adults with open abdominal wounds: a systematic review. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Sep;73(3):629-39. doi: 10.1097/ TA.0b013e31825c130e. PMID: 22929494.
5. Roberts DJ, Ball CG, Kirkpatrick AW. Increased pressure within the abdominal compartment: intra-abdominal hypertension and the abdominal compartment syndrome. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2016 Apr;22(2):174-85. doi: 10.1097/ MCC.0000000000000289.
6. Kirkpatrick AW, Roberts DJ, Faris PD, Ball CG, Kubes P, Tiruta C, Xiao Z, Holodinsky JK, McBeth PB, Doig CJ, Jenne CN. Active Negative Pressure Peritoneal Therapy After Abbreviated Laparotomy: The Intraperitoneal Vacuum Randomized Controlled Trial. Ann Surg. 2015 Jul;262(1):38-46. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000001095.
7. Malbrain ML. Abdominal pressure in the critically ill: measurement and clinical relevance. Intensive Care Med. 1999 Dec;25(12):1453-8. doi: 10.1007/s001340051098. PMID: 10702030.
8. Sugrue M. Abdominal compartment syndrome. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2005 Aug;11(4):333-8. doi: 10.1097/01. ccx.0000170505.53657.48. PMID: 16015111.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.