LIVER ECHINOCOCCOSIS: DIAGNOSIS AND SURGICAL TREATMENT EXPERIENCE
Summary. The purpose: to analyze the results of treatment of patients with liver echinococcosis.
Materials and methods: results of treatment of 76 patients with echinococcosis of the liver were analyzed, women — 66 (86,8 %), men — 10 (13,2 %). Primary echinococcosis was detected in 73 (96,1 %) patients, secondary — in 3 (3,9 %). Among instrumental research methods, ultrasound and computed tomography examination were of diagnostic value. Single liver cysts were found in 66 (86,8 %) patients, multiple — in 10 (13,2 %). Among patients with solitary cysts, the right lobe was more often affected in 56 (73,7 %) patients than the left — 20 (26,3 %) cases. Echinococcosis complications were observed in 16 (21,1 %) patients. Among them, most often there were suppurations of the cyst — in 13 (17,1 %); a break of the cyst in the free abdominal cavity — in 1 (1,3 %), in the pleural cavity — 1 (1,3 %), in the biliary tract — in 1 (1,3 %). In 20 (26,3 %) cases, the operation was performed from the upper median access, in 46 (60,5%) — from oblique hypochondriac accesses by Kocher or by Fedorov. Pericystectomy was performed in 52 (68,4 %) patients, in 8 (10,5 %) patients had resections of liver segments with an echinococcal cyst, in 4 (5,3 %) — cyst opening with removal of contents and treatment of its cavity. Laparoscopic echinococectomy was used in 12 (15,8 %) patients. In the postoperative period, complications were observed in 16 (21,1 %) patients. The use of the welding electrocoagulator EK-300M «Swarmed» in the thermal rehabilitation of the walls of the residual cavity after echinococectomy allowed to reduce blood loss from (2200 ± 210) to (250 ± 50) ml, recurrences – with 2,8 up to 0 %. Before and after operation was performed antireсedive antiparasitic therapy with albendazole (Vormil) in two cycles of 28 days, separated by a 14-day break. The dose at body weight over 60 kg was 400 mg 2 times a day, and for less than 60 kg the drug was prescribed at a rate of 15 mg/kg/day.
Results. With the use of laparoscopic echinococectomy, intraoperative blood loss was reduced by 9 times (р=0,0001); duration of operation — 2 times (р>0,05), stay in hospital - 3,3 times (р=0,002). There were no fatal outcomes.
Conclusions. Pericystectomy is an effective operation for complete recovery and does not give recurrence of the disease. The use of a welding electrocoagulator and laparoscopic echinococectomy significantly improve the results of treatment of patients with parasitic liver cysts.
2. Paternoster G, Boo G, Wang C, et al. Epidemic cystic and alveolar echinococcosis in Kyrgyzstan: an analysis of national surveillance data. The Lancet Global Health. 2020;8(4):e603-e611. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s2214- 109x(20)30038-3
3. Tetali B, Grahf DC, Abou Asala ED, Axelson D. An Atypical Presentation of Cystic Echinococcosis. Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine. 2020:1-3. doi: https://doi.org/10.5811/cpcem.2020.1.45842
4. Ito A, Nakao M, Lavikainen A, Hoberg E. Cystic echinococcosis: Future perspectives of molecular epidemiology. Acta tropica. 2017;165:3-9. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j. actatropica.2016.05.013
5. Vetshev PS, Musaev GKh, Fatyanova AS. [Echinococcosis: the basics of diagnosis and the role of minimally invasive technologies (literature review)]. Annaly khirurgicheskoy gepatologii. 2018;20(3):47-53. doi: https://doi. org/10.16931/1995-5464.2015347-53
6. Shamsiev AM, Shamsiev JA, Kurbaniyazitov ZB, Rakhmanov KE, Davlatov SS. [Echinococcosis of the liver: frequency of occurrence, pathogenesis, classification, diagnosis and treatment (literature review)]. Klíníchna ta yeksperimental’na patologíya. 2018;17;3(65):126-133. Russian. doi: https://doi.org/10.24061/1727-4338. XVII.3.65.2018.145
7. Kalmykov EL, Gulov MK, Kapustin BB, Mukhabbatov DK, Ne»matzoda O, Zardakov SM, Kadyrov AR. [To the question of mini-invasive surgery of liver echinococcosis]. Novosti khirurgii. 2019;27(5):563-573. Russian. doi: https://doi.org/10.18484/2305-0047.2019.5.563
8. Bodnya EI. [Optimization of the diagnostic algorithm in patients with liver echinococcosis]. Gepatologíya. 2018;4:20-37. Russian. Available from: file:///D: /users/ user/Downloads/gepat _2018_4_5%20(2).pdf
9. Axrorovich SU, Israfulovich RM, Isomiddinovich M, Yakhshiboevich SZ. Surgical tactics in liver echinococcosis of subphrenic localization. European science review. 2018:212-213. Available from: file:///D:/users/user/Downloads/surgical-tactics-in-liver-echinococcosis-of-subphrenic-localization.pdf;
Bayrak M., Altintas Y. Current approaches in the surgical treatment of liver hydatid disease: single center experience. BMC Surg. 2019. Vol. 95. P. 1054. DOI: https://doi. org/10.1186/s12893-019-0553-1.