CHRONIC PLEURA EMPYEMA — CONSEQUENCE OF INTERNAL DIROFILIARIOSIS
Summary. Introduction. Warming in Ukraine leads to the displacement of warm zones to colder ones, and at the same time, to the removal of colonization zones of many insectivores, which are carriers of rare diseases in Ukraine.
Materials and methods. Clinical observation of Dirophilaria immitis of the pleural cavity is given. The patient was treated for «pneumonia» by a family doctor and a district therapist for two months. Only after consultation with a thoracic phthisiosurgeon was diagnosed with chronic pleural empyema and performed pleurectomy. A living string-like body was found in the pleural sac, which turned out to be D. immitis.
Results and discussion of observations. The diagnosis of «pneumonia» was established on the basis of the clinical picture without a detailed physical and radiological examination, which is methodologically erroneous. If the patient was observed or consulted by a specialist, surgery could be performed earlier, in the first stage of chronic disease.
Conclusions. In the differential diagnosis of pleural diseases, a detailed physical and radiological examination in two projections and anamnesis leads: human bites by mosquitoes in wet places, as they are the final hosts of D. Immitis and D. repens.
2. Morozova LF, Tiкhonova EO, Zotova MA, Sergiev VP, Tumolskaya NI, Supriaga VP, Rakova VM, et al. Human dirofilariasis: clinical manifestations, diagnosis, treatment and prevention. Infektsionnyye bolezni: novosti, mneniya, obucheniye. 2018;7(4):90–7. [In Russian]. doi: 10.24411/2305-3496-2018-14014
3. Bronshteyn AM, Fedyanina LV, Malyshev NA, Kochergin NG, Davydova IV, Burova SV, et al. Human Dirofilariasis repens – migratory cutaneous and visceral helminthiasis: new data of “the old” disease. Analysis of cases and review. Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases. 2016; 21(3):157-165. [In Russion]. doi: 10.18821/1560-9529-2016-21-3-157-165
4. Yefimenko SG, Lysenko VV. A case of dirofilariasis diagnostics with sonography. Medicina neotlozhnyh sostojanij. 2011;1–2 32–33):154–3. [In Russian].
5. Duzhiy ID, Piatykop HI, Gresko IYa, Kravets OV, Pererva OO, Sytnik OL. Features of diagnosis of external dirofilariasis. Eastern Ukrainian Medical Journal. 2020; 8(3):299–8. [In Ukrainian]. doi: https://doi.org/ 10.21272/eumj.2020;8(3):299-306
6. Matejko GB, Gurovska NP, Veres LV, Kozak GV, Prokofjev MV. Clinical case of subcutaneous dirofilariasis of right thigh. Ukrainskyi medychnyi chasopys. 2014; 6:182–4. [In Ukrainian].
7. Poloshyk SI, Posishyk DS. The case of dirofilariasis in Khmelnitsy oblast case. Ukrainskyi zhurnal dermatolohii, venerolohii, kosmetolohii. 2007; 3: 96–2. [In Ukrainian].
8. Prokhorenkov VI, Guzey TN, Ashmarina EM, Tolstikhina NB, Anisimova EN, Oskolkov EO. Dirofilariasis: two clinical cases. Klinicheskaja dermatologija i venerologija. 2015; 5: 32–5. [In Russian]. doi: 10.17116/klinderma201514532-36
9. Chistenko GN, Vedenkov AL, Dronina AM, Semizhon OA. Human dirofilariasis. Medicinskij zhurnal. 2013; 3: 30–4. [In Russian].
10. Shhepotin IB, Zotov AS, Litovchenko AJu, Grigoruk AV, Anikus’ko NF, Nejman AM. Tkanevye gel’mintozy, porazhajushhie molochnuju zhelezu. Tumors of female reproductive system. 2008;(1):25–3. https://doi.org/10.17650/1994-4098-2008-0-1-25-27 [In Russian].
11. Benzaquen M, Brajon D, Delord M, Yin N, Bittar F, Toga I. et al. Cutaneous and pulmonary dirofilariasis due to Dirofilaria repens. Br. J. Dermatol. 2015; 173: 788–91. doi: 10.1111/bjd.13859